CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Just an empty cake plate!


For many years, I have gathered a bit of grief from my husband and sibblings about the sweets I have around my house. If you grew up with me and visited my house (on any given day) you would realize that treats were just part of my upbringing. My mother use to have a crystal cake plate placed next to 3 candy/cookie jars on our kitchen counter. They were filled each week with new cookies and colorful, yummy eye candy. They were fabulous snacks after school AND a cute way to add a little holiday spirit to any room... in fact, I have a darling, tall, skinny friend that would run a couple miles on Bountiful Blvd. to my home to visit and knew that she could always enjoy a chunk of Dick's Bakery chocolate cake. She knew that Nanci kept the plate full and the door was always open. Why wouldn't I create the same environment? My only change to this tradition is taking it out all over the house :) Bowls of red and green M&Ms, red, white and green bubble gums in a darling jar... the ideas are endless...................... so yesterday, I stopped at the bakery and bought donuts with Christmas sprinkles that caught my eye. At the register the clerk opened my box to count the quantity and said, "Oh, fun... what's the occasion?" Um,
"Just an empty cake plate on my counter!"

3 comments:

Lindsay and Blake

Lor I think we can thank Nanny for this habit - and bless her for it! I do the same thing at my house. . . there is nothing better then coming home to a nice soft Dunfor Donut.

Lory

Hey stranger!!! We inherited great qualities from our Nanny and Mamas!! I hope we get to see you and Blake this Christmas... are you two travelers going to be in town??? xo

Kathryn

Well I don't know who your darling, tall, skinny friend was, but I know I LOVED coming over and seeing what momma Nanci had in the cake plate! How funny that it remember that sooooo vividly!!! That's great that you carry on the tradition! I'll jog over some day, OK? ;)