CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 12, 2010

Elementary Years


So yesterday I had the 'opportunity' of having 20 new teachers in my classroom, observing me, my teaching style and kiddos. It was a FULL room... a little busy... a little energetic... After a couple of hours in the classroom, I had a substitute come in and take over the teaching part so I could chat and answer questions with the teachers. Although it is always stressful to prepare for one of these presentations, it was a real 'a-ha!' moment for me also. I kind of walked down memory lane with these ladies... recalling my first classroom... and the journey to get there. I LOVE MY JOB!! It's hard for me to call it that because I truly look forward to spending my days at Creekside. I knew I wanted to be a teacher when I was still in elementary school myself. I idolized my teachers at Bountiful Elementary... I can still recall each of my teachers by name. As a 8 or 9 year old, I had a Summer School for the neighborhood in my backyard. My mom helped me trace coloring sheets over and over and over so each of my students would have one to color. Mom provided M&M cookies for snack time. I had the lesson plans, supplies and little paycheck at the age of 8 (the paycheck is still about the same amount :) I guess it was in my blood from the beginning. I am so grateful to my parents for providing me with the opportunity to reach my goal and earn my creditials at the Y. Teaching has been a blessing, an exciting and exhausting opportunity and a pleasure for me and my young family. It's hard to believe that I opened my very first classroom 17 years ago. It's even harder to believe these young kiddos that touched my life so long ago are returning from missions, in college themselves and getting married. It's a happy day for me to receive the announcements and invitiations in the mail. I've been blessed... I'm so excited for the journey these new, young teachers have ahead of them. Emma tells me she'll be teaching in my classroom one day (16 years)...will I possibly have it in me at 55 to still be teaching!!!! AAhh... well, I look forward to the day I get to bake M&M cookies for her young students... giving her the opportunities to earn her degree and watch her own dreams come true.

2 comments:

Kathryn

Lory, that is so great that you get to do what you love. I know how you feel. I almost feel like I am stealing when I get paid to workout! What? I would be there anyway, and they are paying me to be there! I love it! I bet you are a fantastic teacher! Wish my kids could have you! Savannah is in 2nd grade right now and I'm sure would LOVE you, and you'd love all the fun comments and things you really didn't want to know about our family coming out of her little mouth! ;)

Lory

You are so cute! I wish I LOVE working out! I know I'd love myself more if I did... can we swap for a few months while I catch on :)